[Python-Dev] Some dull gc stats

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:18:14 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:
> [martin@v.loewis.de]
>
>>I understand that it is not a requirement anymore that changes to
>>Python 2.2 are "pure bugfixes". Instead, people expect that Python 2.2
>>evolves and continues to grow new features, as long as they are
>>"strictly backwards compatible".
>

> Alex made a case here for "new features", but the Python Business Forum
> hasn't shown interest in that.  Like most businessfolk, I expect they'll
> ignore such issues until someone discovers that the lack of a new feature is
> putting them out of business <0.8 wink>.

Patch level releases should *never* include new features (unless
these are essential to fix a serious bug or a simple byproduct
of a fix). I don't know where you got the impression that Python
should move back to the 1.5 branch development process where patch
levels added new features.

W/r to the PBF: at EuroPython we did a poll to see which version
to base the PBF's activities on. The result was that a majority
voted for Python 2.2 as first target.

Patch levels are there to stabilize a release, not make it
more powerful.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH