[Python-Dev] Re: Patch level versions and new features (Was: Some dull gc stats)

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:20:56 -0400

On 08 July 2002, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> Not sure whether it's already possible or not, but I'd prefer
> to keep the install command and have the package provide this
> information (site-packages vs. system-packages) as part of the
> setup.py or setup.cfg file.
>
> Perhaps we could have some kind of category for distutils
> packages which marks them as system add-ons vs. site add-ons.

+1 -- this should definitely be up to the package author/packager, not
the local admin.  I once tried to convince Guido that the ability to
occasionally upgrade standard library modules/packages would be a good
thing, but he wasn't having it.  Any change of heart, O Mighty BDFL?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Python bigot                                gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/