[Python-Dev] Alternative implementation of interning, take 2

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:18:39 -0400

[Oren Tirosh]
> This version, like the previous one, does not support indirect
> interning of strings.  Is there any evidence that this optimization is
> still important?  Nothing in the Python distribution itself needs it.

We've already been thru the last part at length:  indirect interning wasn't
targeted at the core, so that the core doesn't need it is evidence of no
more than that Guido's implementation worked as he intended it to in this
respect.

It would help if you could get Marc-Andre and /F to pronounce on whether
their code benefits from it -- they're the most prolific extension authors
we've got.