[Python-Dev] Status of various Python branches

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:40:45 -0400

I believe the PBF has reached consensus that Python 2.2 will be the
tie-wearing release.

IMO this means that backporting fixes to 2.2 will continue to be
valuable; I don't see the PBF coming up with a volunteer to do this
right away.  If you can't backport a fix yourself, at least add
something like "bugfix candidate" to the checkin message.

I think that backporting fixes to 2.1 is *not* worth our time any
more, with the exception of (a) critical security fixes, and (b) fixes
for severe problems that we know affect Python 2.1 users who cannot
upgrade to 2.2.  Example: Zope 2.5 requires Python 2.1.  I'm not aware
of any such fixes now.