[Python-Dev] PEP 294: Type Names in the types Module

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:51:27 -0400

> > If we need a place to name types that don't deserve being builtins,
> > perhaps new.py is a better place?
>
> The new. prefix is natural enough for
>
> 	m = new.module('name')
>
> type but it looks pretty awkward in
>
> 	if isinstance(obj, new.generator):
>
> What's the meaning of 'new' in this context?

Sometimes you ask too many questions. :-)

Let's just say that this is a historically available name.  I don't
expect that isinstance(obj, generator) is a very common question to
ask, so I don't mind if you have to ask it in a somewhat awkward way.

> The idea of using the types module turned out to have more problems than
> appeared at first but new doesn't look much better to me.

Using new.py looks much better to me because it already works.