[Python-Dev] python package

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:11:28 -0400

[Guido]
> This just shows that having the current directory on sys.path
> (especially at the front) causes problems.

I thought it showed I shouldn't be so careless when synching machines, but
I'll take an excuse to blame Python instead <wink>.

Still, it's something that would not have happened had I needed to prefix
the import of the standard textwrap with a "standard" name -- or of my
private textwrap with a "non-standard" name.

Putting the current directory in sys.path is just too useful to give up.  I
suspect that putting it specifically at the front is only "a feature" for
Python library developers, though, and "a bug" for others -- end users
stumble into this a lot by unhappy accident, like when creating a random.py
to hold their initial experiments with Python's random-number facilities.