[Python-Dev] python package

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:31:30 -0400

On Friday 12 July 2002 01:54 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> If you still think a solution is desired, you could start by proposing
> a new standard package hierarchy.  Then new standard modules could be
> placed in that new hierarchy rather than at the top level.
>
> I'm rejecting the proposal of a single top-level package named "python".

I've read the entire thread and still do not understand why you are suggesting
the new standard package hirearchy should be named "new". The contents will
eventually will grow old and they will still be in something called "new".
Why not use a name like "std", "misc", "core", or "sph" for the top of the
standard package hiearchy? It doesn't matter what the name will be, but I
hope it will be something that isn't confusing.