[Python-Dev] Minor socket timeout quibble - timeout raises socket.error

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:50:20 -0500

    >> > I just noticed in the development docs that when a timeout on a
    >> > socket occurs, socket.error is raised.  I rather liked the idea
    >> > that a different exception was raised for timeouts (I used Tim
    >> > O'Malley's timeout_socket module).

    Guido> I'd like to understand the use case better.  Why would you want
    Guido> to make this distinction?

In my application that uses Tim O'Malley's timeout_socket module, I do very
little different in the two cases other than to generate a different message
for the user.

As I mentioned in the subject, it is a minor quibble.  If it's a pain to
modify the code to raise a distinct error, I wouldn't bother.

Skip