[Python-Dev] Termination of two-arg iter()

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:56:56 +0200

On Monday 15 July 2002 05:15 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm still only considering two options:
>
>   (a) leave the status quo, or
>   (b) implement (and document!) the "sink-state" rule from the PEP.

For what it's worth, I strongly prefer (b).

> If we end up adopting (b), what can we do to Python 2.2 that doesn't
> break the "bug-fixes-only" promise of that branch?
>
> If there's code that depends on the extendibility of list iterators,
> are we breaking our promise by breaking that code?

I have no opinion on this specific issue.  Every other iterator could
surely be made to implement the sink behavior, but I do not know
if the empirically observed behavior of iterators on list could be
classified as a bug (I sure wish it could).

Alex