[Python-Dev] staticforward

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:16:09 -0400

  MAL> The configure script tests whether static forwards work or
  MAL> not. If you'd rip out the test as well, then I'd have to add
  MAL> those platforms which still have problems manually.

  MAL> The problem is: I don't know which platforms these are (because
  MAL> configure found these itself).
  >>
  >> If you think the configure test works, why do you have platform
  >> specific ifdefs in your header file?

  MAL> Because it doesn't always work :-)

Let's make sure I've got this straight:

You believe there are platforms on which staticforward is necessary,
because you can not have a tentative definition of a static followed
by a definition with an initializer.  Yet the configure test of
exactly this behavior succeeds.  Further, you don't believe the
configure test works but you want us to leave it in anyway?

Jeremy