[Python-Dev] staticforward

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:31:50 +0200

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   MAL> What are you after here ? Remove the configure.in test as well
>   MAL> ?
>
> It is already gone. And earlier in this thread, we established that
> it did you no good, right?

No and I think I was clear about the fact that I don't want this
to be removed.

> You only care about compilers that choke
> on static array decls with later initialization, and the test doesn't
> catch that.

The test tries to catch a general problem in some compilers: that
static forward declarations cause compile time errors. However,
it only tests this for structs, not arrays and functions.
So not all problems related to static forward declarations are
catched. That's why I had to add support for this to the
header file I'm using.

As a result, the test should be extended to also check for the
array case and the function case, so that all relevant static
forward declaration bugs in the compiler trigger the
#define of BAD_STATIC_FORWARD since that's what the symbol
is all about.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH