[Python-Dev] pre-PEP: The Safe Buffer Interface

Scott Gilbert xscottg@yahoo.com
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:23:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- Greg Ewing <greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> > The need for this derives from wanting to do more than one thing at a
> > time in Python (multiple processors with multiple threas, asynchronous
> > I/O, DMA transers, ???).
>
> In any situation like that, you should be using some form
> of locking on the object concerned. The Python buffer
> interface is not the right place to deal with these
> issues.

I humbly disagree with you, and I like his proposal.  His PEP is simple and
the locking business could lead to a mess if everyone involved is not very
careful.

However, I'll let him champion his PEP.  I've got my own stuff to worry
about, and this is part of why I didn't want to add new protocol to the PEP
I've been working on.

Cheers,
    -Scott