[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 1, PEP Purpose and Guidelines

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:25:44 +1200 (NZST)

pinard@iro.umontreal.ca:

> It is more reasonable to always give the real name, optionally
> followed by an email, that to consider that the real name is a mere
> comment for the email address.

Not necessarily -- it depends on your point of view.

I've always thought of the "To:" line as an address,
not a salutation. In other words, an instruction to the
email system as to where to send the message, not the
name of the recipient. Putting a person's name in there
at all seems to me a sop to computer-illiterate wimps
who go all wobbly at the knees when they see anything
as esoteric-looking as an email address. :-)