[Python-Dev] Re: What to do about the Wiki?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:56:49 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>Juergen seems offline or too busy to respond.  Here's what he wrote on
>>>the matter.  I guess he's reading the entire log into memory and
>>>updating it there.
>>
>>J=FCrgen is talking about the file event.log which MoinMoin writes.
>>This is not read into memory. New events are simply appended to
>>the file.
>>
>>Now since the Wiki has recursive links such as the "LikePages"
>>links on all pages and history links like the per page
>>info screen, a recursive wget is likely to run for quite a
>>while (even more because the URL level doesn't change much
>>and thus probably doesn't trigger any depth restrictions on wget-
>>like crawlers) and generate lots of events...
>>
>>What was the cause of the break down ? A full disk or a process
>>claiming all resources ?
>=20
>=20
> A process running out of memory, AFAIK.

In that case, wouldn't it be better to impose a memoryuse limit
on the user which Apache uses for dealing with CGI
scripts ? That wouldn't solve any specific Wiki related
problem, but prevents the server from going offline because
of memory problems.

> I just ran a recursive wget on the Wiki, and it completed without
> bringing the site down, downloading about 1000 files (several views
> for each Wiki page).  I didn't see the Wiki appear in the "top"
> display.
>=20
> So either Juergen fixed the problem (as he said he did) or there was a
> different cause.
>=20
> I do wish Juergen responded to his mail.

It's vacation time in Germany, so he may well be offline for
a while.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH