[Python-Dev] Re: Adding Optik to the standard library

Steven Lott s_lott@yahoo.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

The class isn't really the unit of reuse.  The old
one-class-per-file rules from C++ aren't helpful for good
reusable design.  They are for optimizing compiling and making.

This is great book on large-scale design considerations.  Much
of it is C++ specific, but parts apply to Python.

Large-Scale C++ Software Design, John Lakos Addison-Wesley,
Paperback, Published July 1996, 845 pages, ISBN 0201633620.

The module of related classes is the unit of reuse.  A cluster
of related modules can make sense for a large, complex reusable
component, like an application program.

As a user, anything in a module file that is not class
definition (or the odd occaisional convenience function) is a
show-stopper.  If there is some funny business to implement
submodules, that ends my interest.  Part of the open source
social contract is that if I'm going to use it, I'd better be
able to support it.  Even if you win the lottery and retire to a
fishing boat in the Caribbean.

reusable elements pushes my envelope.  If it's job is to parse
command line arguments, how many different reusable elements can
their really be?  Perhaps there are several candidate modules
here.  It seems difficult to justify putting them all into a
library.  The problem doesn't seem complex enough to justify a
complex solution.

=====
--
S. Lott, CCP :-{)
S_LOTT@YAHOO.COM

Macintosh user: drinking upstream from the herd.