[Python-Dev] Re: Where to put wrap_text()?

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
01 Jun 2002 12:51:03 -0400

[Greg Ward]

> Proposal: a new standard library module, wrap_text, which combines the
> best of distutils.fancy_getopt.wrap_text() and Text::Wrap.

[Aahz]

> Personally, I'd like to at least get the functionality of some versions
> of 'fmt'

[Guido van Rossum]

> I think this is a fine idea.  But *please* don't put an underscore in
> the name.  I'd say "wrap" or "wraptext" are better than "wrap_text".

One thing that I would love to have available in Python is a function able
to wrap text using Knuth's filling algorithm.  GNU `fmt' does it, and it
is _so_ better than dumb refilling, in my eyes at least, that I managed
so Emacs own filling algorithm is short-circuited with an external call
(I do not mind the small fraction of a second it takes).

Also, is there some existing module in which `wraptext' would fit nicely?
That might be better than creating a new module for not many functions.