[Python-Dev] Re: Patch #473512

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
04 Jun 2002 21:48:20 +0200

pinard@iro.umontreal.ca (Fran=E7ois Pinard) writes:

> GNU getopt changes once in a while.=20=20

In what way? When has it changed last, and what was that change?

> Will `getopt.gnu_getopt' track and reflect these changes as they
> occur?  I mean, is it the intent?  If yes, the name might be fine.
> Otherwise, it might be better to name this other `getopt' after some
> of its properties, instead of using `gnu' as a prefix.

Assuming that bug fixes are made to GNU getopt, it would certainly be
reasonable to reflect them in getopt.gnu_getopt.

> If GNU it has to be, maybe it should be capitalised?  Some existing modul=
es
> suggest capitals where underlines would probably have been sufficient,
> maybe we should use capitals where they are more naturally mandated.
>=20
> Not a big matter for me, but probably worth a thought nevertheless?

I've no opinion on that except that function names are traditionally
all lower-case. I'll ask the author of the patch.

Regards,
Martin