[Python-Dev] trace.py and the obscurity of Tools/scripts/

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:12:36 -0400

[cleaning out some old mail...]

Jeremy Hylton writes:
 > Can any of the handler methods be re-coded in C?  The hotshot changes
 > allow you to install a C function as a trace hook, but doesn't the
 > trace function in trace.py do a fair amount of work?

Another possibility is to use _hotshot.coverage() instead of the
"normal" profiler in HotShot.  This records the enter/exit events and
SET_LINENO instructions, but doesn't take any timing measurements, so
operates much quicker than profiling.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>