[Python-Dev] textwrap.py

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 10:51:46 -0400

[Gordon McMillan]
> Aargh!
>
> It doesn't matter if it "makes sense"[1]!

Indeed, it doesn't even matter if one side is dead wrong.  Hell, it doesn't
even matter if all sides are dead wrong.

> It's a widely known rule that some people still insist upon.

The ones with a normal sense of aesthetics, yes <wink>.

> [1] Style guidelines frequently appeal to a
> notion of "sense" that only makes sense
> if the guideline appeals to you. I would cite
> the GNU C code style guide as an example,
> but that would only get me flamed :-).

"""
Aside from this, I prefer code formatted like this:

  if (x < foo (y, z))
    haha = bar[4] + 5;
  else
    {
      while (z)
        {
          haha += foo (z, z);
          z--;
        }
      return ++x + bar ();
    }

I find it easier to read a program when it has spaces before the
open-parentheses and after the commas.
"""

I've recently had the opportunity to work with reams of code done this way.
The best that can be said of it is that it's dead wrong.  Out of
consideration for our youth, I'll refrain from revealing the worst that can
be said of it.  At least it has two spaces after right curly braces <wink>.