[Python-Dev] Negative long literals (was Re: Does Python need a '>>>' operator?)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:12:55 -0400

[Michael Gilfix]
>   I like the idea but I'm not sure that still solves the down casting
> problem.

It's not even pretending to have something to do with downcasting.

> Say I do some bit ops on a long type and want to get it into an int
> size (for whatever reason and there are several), I need somehow to
> tell python that it is not an overflow when I'm int()ing the number.

Sorry, I don't know what you want it to do.  You have to specify the
intended semantics first.

> Perhaps int could take a second hidden argument. Be
> able to do a:
>
>   int(big_num, signed=1)
>
> which is pretty clear.

After int/long unification is complete, int() and long() will likely be the
same function.  If you only want the last N bits, apply "&" to the long and
a bitmask with the N least-significant bits set.