[Python-Dev] Please give this patch for building bsddb a try

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:18:09 -0500

    >> This would require source code changes to keep global symbols (at
    >> least the module init functions) from clashing.

    Martin> It actually only requires different init functions. To support
    Martin> that with distutils, you need to tell distutils to generate
    Martin> different object files from the same source file, which is
    Martin> probably not supported out of the box.

Thanks for the clarification Martin.  Even though this seems possible with
minimal changes to the source, I still think supporting this is not worth
it.

Oleg, at your end I suspect you could fairly easily copy a bit of code in
setup.py, copy bsddbmodule.c to bsddb1module.c, and rename the module init
function.

Skip