[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Martin Sjögren martin@strakt.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:44:58 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:05:00PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I think the conclusion from this thread is that it's not the checking
> of dependencies which is the problem.  (Jeremy just added this to
> distutils.)  It is the specification of which files are dependent on
> which others that is a pain.  I think that with Jeremy's changes it
> would not be hard to add a rule to our setup.py that makes all
> extensions dependent on all .h files in the Include directory -- a
> reasonable approximation of the rule that the main Makefile uses.

I for one would love to have dependencies in my extension modules, I
usually end up deleting the build directory whenever I've changed a header
file :(

How about something like this:

  Extension('foo', ['foo1.c', 'foo2.c'], dependencies={'foo1.c':
  ['bar.h'], 'foo2.c': ['bar.h', 'bar2.h']})

though there is the problem of backwards compatability :/

Just my two cents,
Martin

--
Martin Sjögren