[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
14 Jun 2002 19:23:43 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> > I tend to use an incremental approach, with lots of edit-compile-run
> > cycles.  I still haven't found a way to get the damn thing to just build
> > my extension and copy it to the current directory, so I can run the
> > test scripts.
>
> Funny, I use an edit-compile-run cycle too, but I don't have the need
> to copy anything to the current directory.

That's because Python treats its own build directory special: it adds
build/something to sys.path when it finds that it is started from the
build directory.

If you are developing a separate package, all your code ends up in
./build/lib.platform, which is not on sys.path.

Regards,
Martin