[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:02:01 -0500

    Guido> All we need is for someone to add all the other dependencies to
    Guido> setup.py.

May I humbly propose that this task should be automated?  Tools like
makedepend have been invented and reinvented many times over precisely
because it's too error-prone for humans to maintain that information
manually.  Switching from Make's syntax to Python's syntax won't make that
task substantially easier.

(Yes, I realize that backward compatibility is a strong goal so the layout
of objects tends to change rarely.  I still prefer having correct
dependencies.)

Skip