[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:01:59 -0400

> > IMO that's entirely accidental.  You can use Setup to build either
> > form.  I would assume you can use setup.py to build either form too,
> > but I'm not sure.
>
> Can you please elaborate? I believe that, because of the fragment
>
> 			case $objs in
> 			*$mod.o*)	base=$mod;;
> 			*)		base=${mod}module;;
> 			esac
>
> the line
>
> nis nismodule.c -lnsl	# Sun yellow pages -- not everywhere
>
> will always cause makesetup to build nismodule.so - if you want to
> build nis.so, you have to rename the source file.

Oops, I was mistaken.

> I don't think you can tell setup.py to build nismodule.so.

Actually, you can.  Just specify "nismodule" as the extension name.
Whether you should, I don't know.

> So what do you propose to do to make the resulting shared library name
> consistent regardless of whether it is build through setup.py or
> makesetup?

I don't know if we need consistency, but if we do, I propose that we
deprecate the "module" part.