[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:31:14 -0400

On 14 June 2002, Martin v. Loewis said:
> Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com> writes:
>
> >     Paul> I guess most of us don't understand the benefits because we don't
> >     Paul> see dependency tracking as necessarily that difficult. It's no
> >     Paul> harder than the new method resolution order. ;)
> >
> > If it's not that difficult why isn't it being done? <no wink>
>
> You are wrong assuming it is not done. distutils does dependency
> analysis since day 1.

Only insofar as foo.o depends on foo.c.  The header file stuff Jeremy
has been adding sounds like a very useful addition (haven't actually
inspected his patches yet).

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net