[Python-Dev] mkdev, major, st_rdev, etc
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:08:31 -0300
After thinking for a while, and doing some research about these
functions, I've changed my mind about the best way to implement
the needed functionality for tarfile. Maybe including major,
minor, and makedev is the best solution. Some of the issues I'm
- st_rdev was already available in 2.2, so we'd have to introduce
a new redundant pair attribute to provide a (major, minor) pair.
- mkdev would be able to use the standard posix format, and would
work regardless of makedev's availability (mkdev is being
introduced in 2.3).
- more flexible. major, minor, and makedev may be needed in other
cases, besides st_rdev parsing and mknod device creation.
- TYPES.py is already trying to provide them, but it's broken
(indeed, it's more broken than that. h2py should use cpp to
preprocess the files, but that's something for another occasion).
- these "functions" are usually macros, thus should introduce
A patch providing these functions is available at
[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5 60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]