[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:44:14 -0700

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Because I don't think there's all that much useful variation, open
> issues in this PEP notwithstanding.  A module seems pretty heavy for
> such a simple addition.

I really hate putting things in modules that will be needed in a Python
programmer's second program (the one after "Hello world"). If this is to
be the *simpler* way of doing introspection then getting at it should be
simpler than getting at "%". $ is taught in hour 2, import is taught on
day 2. Some people may never make it to the metaphorical day 2 if they
are doing simple text processing in some kind of embedded-Python
environment.

 Paul Prescod