[Python-Dev] Please give this patch for building bsddb a try

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:33:32 -0400

On 19 June 2002, Gerhard H?ring said:
> * Barry A. Warsaw <barry@zope.com> [2002-06-18 22:34 -0400]:
> > The problem is that unless your sysadmin hacks ld.so.conf to add
> > /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.X.Y/lib onto your standard ld run path,
> > bsddbmodule.so won't be linked in such a way that it can actually
> > resolve the symbols at run time.
> > [...]
> > os.environ['LD_RUN_PATH'] = dblib_dir
>
> I may be missing something here, but AFAIC that's what the library_dirs
> parameter in the Extension constructor of distutils is for. It basically
> sets the runtime library path at compile time using the "-R" linker
> option.

No, library_dirs is for good old -L.  AFAIK it works fine.

For -R (or equivalent) you need runtime_library_dirs.  I'm not sure if
it works (or ever did).  I think it's a question of knowing what magic
options to supply to each compiler.  Probably it works (worked) on
Solaris, since for once Sun got things right and supplied a simple,
obvious, working command-line option -- namely -R.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - programmer-at-large                         gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/