[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:53:32 -0400

    AK> (Maybe a syntax-checker for %(...) strings would solve
    AK> Mailman's problems, and alleviate the plaintive cries for an
    AK> alternative interpolation syntax?)

If I had to do it over again, I would have used $name in i18n source
strings from the start.  It would have saved lots of headaches and
broken translations.  People just seem to get $names whereas they get
%(name)s wrong too often.

(Little known MM2.1 fact: you can actually convert your headers and
footers to $name substitutions, but it's a hack.  Later, it might be
required.  One of the outgrowths of experimenting with this was to add
a %(name)s checker and now bogus names in the %(...)s are flagged as
errors, while missing trailing `s's are flagged as warnings and
auto-corrected.)

-Barry