[pybsddb] Re: [Python-Dev] Please give this patch for building bsddb a try

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
20 Jun 2002 09:42:27 +0200

"Gregory P. Smith" <greg@electricrain.com> writes:

> Modern berkeleydb uses much different on disk database formats, glancing
> at the docs on sleepycat.com i don't even think it can read bsddb (1.85)
> files.  Existing code using bsddb (1.85) should not automatically start
> using a different database library even if we provide a compatibility
> interface.

The Python bsddb module never guaranteed that you can use it to read
bsddb 1.85 data files. In fact, on many installation, the bsddb module
links with bsddb 2.x or bsddb 3.x, using db_185.h.

So this is no reason not to call the module bsddb.

Regards,
Martin