[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:49:05 -0400

On 20 June 2002, Fredrik Lundh said:
> > No, that's already checked in as textwrap.py.
>
> are you saying that you cannot rename stuff under CVS?
> not even delete it, and check it in again under a new name?

Not at all -- I was just correcting Andrew's misunderstanding about
where the text-wrapping code lives (for now).

> I'm +1 on adding a text utility module for occasionally useful
> stuff like wrapping, getting rid of gremlins, doing various kinds
> of substitutions, centering/capitalizing/padding and otherwise
> formatting strings, searching/parsing, and other fun stuff that
> your average text editor can do (and +0 on using the existing
> "string" module for that purpose, but I can live with another
> name).

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Note that textwrap.py is almost 300 lines, which in my worldview is big
enough to warrant its own module.  I don't think that reduces the
desirablity of having text.py (or text/__init__.py and friends) for all
the things you mentioned.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Python bigot                                gward@python.net