[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
20 Jun 2002 09:41:00 -0400

[Barry A. Warsaw]

> If I had to do it over again, I would have used $name in i18n source
> strings from the start.  It would have saved lots of headaches and
> broken translations.  People just seem to get $names whereas they get
> %(name)s wrong too often.

There were similar problems in C, you know, that yielded the addition of
diagnostics in GNU `msgfmt', in case of discrepancies between formatting
specifications in the original and the translated string.  The suffering
would not have really existed is `msgfmt' has been made Python aware,
or if Python programs used their own `msgfmt'.

As your wrote in your message, you wrote your own checker.  A solution should
be sought that would easily apply to all Python internationalised programs.