Version Fatigue (was: Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions)

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:47:48 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>"""Version fatigue comes from the accumulated realization that most
>>   knowledge gained with regard to any particular version of a product
>>   will be useless with regard to future generations of that same product."""
>>
>>Thinking about that and recent Python development:
>

> This is highly exaggerated.

Guido, I'm not sure that you are always aware what
people actually like about Python and what they dislike.
I have heared such complaints from so many people,
that I think there are reasonably many who don't share
your judgement.
Personally, I belong to the more conservatives, too.
(Stunned? No, really, I like the minimum, most orthogonal
set of features, since I'm running low on brain cells).

Don't take me as negative. This has to be said, once:

I like the new generators very much. They
have a lot of elegance and power.
I am absolutely amazed by the solution to
the type/class dichotomy, and I'm completely
excited about the metaclass stuff. Great!

Much more valuable memorizing than list comprehensions,
booleans and hopefully no new formatting syntax.

All in all Python is evolving good. Maybe we could
slow a little down, please?

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>