[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:57:57 +0200

Alex Martelli wrote:
> If %(name)s is to be deprecated moving towards Python-3000 (surely it
> can't be _removed_ before then), $-formatting needs a very rich feature set;
> otherwise it can't _replace_ %-formatting.  It seems to me that (assuming
> $ formatting IS destined to get into Python) $ formatting should then be
> introduced with all or most of the formatting power it eventually needs, so
> that those who want to make their programs Py3K-ready can use $ formatting
> to replace all their uses of %(name)s formatting.

I haven't jumped into this discussion since I thought that
you were only discussing some new feature which I don't have
a need for.

Now if you want to deprecate %(name)s formatting,
the situation is different: my tie would start jumping up
and down, doing funny noises :-)

So just this comment from me: please don't deprecate %(name)s
formatting. For the rest: I don't really care.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH