[Python-Dev] Indexing builtin sequences with objects which supply __int__

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:20:02 +0200

On Friday 21 June 2002 03:29 am, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> This points to an unfortunate early design flaw in Python (inherited
> from C casts): __int__ has two different meanings -- sometimes it
> converts the type, sometimes it also truncates the value.

That's inherent in any conversion to a type which has multiple purposes.  I
wouldn't call it a "design flaw" -- it's a "flaw" (?) in the underlying
reality:-).

> I hesitate to propose a new special method, but that may be the only
> solution. :-(

PEP 246...

Alex