[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:48:44 -0400

[Guido, re PEP 246]
> Surely it would be a dramatic change, probably deeper than new-style
> classes and generators together.

[Alex Martelli]
> Rarely does one catch Guido (or most any Dutch, I believe) in such
> a wild overbid.  Heat getting to you?-)

Curiously, I don't think Guido was overstating his belief, but he's got his
Python-User's Hat on there, not his Developer-of-Python Hat.  While
new-style classes cut deeply and broadly in the language implementation,
most Python programmers can ignore them (the type/class split bit extension
module authors the hardest, and life can be much more pleasant for them
now).  Protocol adaptation taken seriously would be a fundamental change in
the Python Way of Life for users, from "just try it and see whether it
works", to "you don't *have* to guess anymore".  I think it would make a
dramatic difference in the flavor of day-to-day Python programming -- and
probably for the better, ignoring speed.