[Python-Dev] Priority queue (binary heap) python code

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
25 Jun 2002 09:15:12 +0200

"Kevin O'Connor" <kevin@koconnor.net> writes:

> Any chance something like this could make it into the standard python
> library?  It would save a lot of time for lazy people like myself.  :-)

I think this deserves a library PEP. I would also recommend to have a
separate heap and priority queue API, to avoid the kind of confusion
that Skip ran into. Something like the C++ STL API might be
appropriate: the heap functions take a comparator function, on top of
which you offer both heapsort and priority queues.

The technical issues set aside, the main purpose of a library PEP is
to record a commitment from the author to maintain the module, with
the option of removing the module if the author runs away, and nobody
takes over.

Regards,
Martin