[Python-Dev] PEP 294: Type Names in the types Module

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:38:07 -0400

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002, Peter Funk wrote:

> Unfortunately this will not help for software, which has already been
> written and is in production.  If in 2004 certain Python programs
> written in 2000 or earlier would start raising ImportError exceptions
> on 'from types import *' after upgrading to a new system which may come
> with the latest version of Python, this will certainly cause damage.

This can be solved by a combination of changing the documentation and
using __all__ (which I think is in part precisely the point of creating
__all__).  (To save people time, __all__ controls what names import *
uses; I think it was introduced in Python 2.1, but I'm not sure.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/