[Python-Dev] datetime +/- scalars (int, long, float)?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:02:16 -0500

> Hope you don't mind ;-) ...

Not at all, we're hoping to arrive at something usable and fun for all!

> You should name the type timestamp if you want to imply dt + n
> == dt + n seconds. datetime + n is commonly understood as
> dt + n *days*.

Hm, I hadn't thought of that.  To me seconds are the only thing that
makes sense because that's what a Unix timestamp does, but I haven't
read or written a lot of commercial code using date/time data.

Is this just an mxDateTime convention, or is it in wider use?  (URLs
of docs of other languages / libraries would really help to convince
me!)