[Python-Dev] Explorations on new-style classes

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
06 Mar 2002 15:22:58 +0000

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com> writes:
[snip]
> I'm very much interested in what people think about these ideas about using
> (or mis-using) slots, metaclasses, new-style classes, and other cutting-edge
> Python features.

I think it's hard to have an opinion until I come across some problem
where using these new features helps.  This hasn't happened to me yet.

[...]
> I am also aware that a sizeable fraction of python-dev may not care much
> about this topic, so I would not be offended if the consensus was that this
> discussion is not topical enough for the list.

Hey, I ignore most of python-dev, most days.  I think this stuff is
interesting, but can't spare the brain cells to think hard about it :(

> It would also be nice if some of the examples I'm working on could
> eventually become part of the official Python test suite.  If for no other
> reason, because the current set of tests is somewhat sparse.

Submitting patches will make this vastly more likely...

Cheers,
M.

--
 All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
 the parts you are  reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,