[Python-Dev] datetime +/- scalars (int, long, float)?

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:24:06 -0800 (PST)

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Naive time is what you see on your watch or your Palm organizer
> (apparently not on PocketPC or Windows/CE though, which are timezone
> aware).  A day is always 24 hours, and the clock always shows local
> time.  When the DST jump happens, you lose or win an hour but you do
> your best to pretend it didn't happen, by going to bed a little
> earlier or by partying a little longer (or any other activity that
> causes memory loss :-).
>
> My Palm has no problem keeping track of appointments in different
> timezones: when I have a meeting in San Francisco at 11am, I enter it
> at 11am, and when I fly there, I move the Palm's clock three hours
> back.  Naive time adapts to local time -- time flies (or stands still)
> when you're in an airplane crossing timezones.

+1

After reading comp.risks for years, I've seen enough bug reports about
Outlook getting this wrong.  The main reason this works, though, is that
it still almost always takes more than an hour to cross a timezone.  ;-)
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.