[Python-Dev] Moving bugs and patches through the pipeline more quickly

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:27:43 -0500

>     >> I wasn't thinking about it quite like that.  I was thinking more
>     >> along the lines of a subset of people would volunteer to do the
>     >> triage, passing it off between themselves at the rotation boundaries.
>     >> That's more-or-less how Cameron Laird does it for the weekly Python
>     >> URL stuff.
>
>     Guido> Maybe you'd like to help organize this?

[Skip]
> Martin thinks it's unnecessary.  I suspect he pays as much attention to
> incoming bugs as anyone, so let's pass on this for the time being.

OK, although at times I've got the feeling that Martin could really
use some help -- he's doing an admirable job, but it feels thankless...

> Instead...

>     >> I suggest you post an announcement to c.l.py.  I don't know where
>     >> best to have them reply.  Sending mail to guido@python.org would
>     >> clearly not be the right place.  Python-dev wouldn't normally be the
>     >> right place for this either, but that's where all the people
>     >> qualified to do the reference checks hang out.
>
>     Guido> I'd like to delegate this.  Maybe you can send out an
>     Guido> announcement and read through the applications, forwarding only
>     Guido> the ones that look good to me.  You may have to think a bit about
>     Guido> what to write in the announcement, but please do it without
>     Guido> asking me -- I need to delegate more!
>
> I can do this.  I'll send a note to c.l.py soliciting requests to be added
> to the developers list.  How about one more level of indirection.  I will
> prioritize the responses then forward them to anyone on this list who's
> interested in participating in the review process.  Those people can then
> pass along the usual +1/0/-1 (to me or Guido) with or without further
> explanation, as they see fit.
>
> I'll try to get a post out this morning.  We can decide how to handle the
> details of the review process in parallel with the responses arriving.

Excellent!

the less I need to be involved, the better it sounds to me. :-)