[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:41:28 -0500

> The effort required to do this is not the argument,
> it's the fact that you are trying to break working code
> without any real life need. The PEP doesn't mention a
> single example where the advantage is so obvious that
> it requires breaking code.

OK, now we're talking.  You want more motivation.  See my response to
David Ascher; I'm going to add all that to the PEP online too.

> > > I'd be happy with repr(True) giving me 'True',
> > > but not str(True).
> >
> > It just seems to make more sense if booleans print as True and False.
> > But if that really is going to be the only place where things break,
> > I'm willing to reconsider this.
>
> Good.

This is now in the PEP as an option.

> The problem is that the boolean output may not have been
> intended by the programmer. All he ever got was the integers
> 1 and 0 -- it was never obvious to the pure Python programmer
> that these two values were acutally the singletons
> Py_True and Py_False. Now you want to add additional
> semantics to those and things will look different on output.

In the long run, you'll thank me for this.