[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:43:35 +0100

Hi. [after contemplation of scheme, CL, and Python]

> That's not terribly bad.  But I'm not sure I'm ready to answer the
> complaints from newbies who are confused by this:
>
>     >>> isinstance(1, int)
>     True
>     >>> print isinstance(1, int)
>     1
>     >>>

My 2cts. IMHO an explicit bool type add cognitive burden,
does not subtract from there, especially given
that Python should preserve its truth semantics rules.

The only win is that we have a blessed return type
for predicates, which is just an ideal win
as long as there is code around that does not stick
with the new convention. Ant the cometics.

A more clear win is RPC (but so late
in the game it seems people have dealt
with that otherwise).

So it seems it is a matter of BDFL's taste :).
By the way the proposal open new style questions:
E.g. Should one write:

[A] def f(arg,optflag=0):

 f(...,1)

Or