[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:16:00 -0500

On 9 Mar 2002 at 18:44, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > So far you've been carrying this particular
> > argument all by yourself.
>
> I was also the only one that had objections when
> nested scopes were first proposed by Jeremy on this
> list... I'm sure others will chime in once you have
> checked in
> an implementation.

It hasn't helped that the argument has contained a
whole lot of red herrings.

Personally, I think repr(True) should return 1
and str(True) should return "True" (in line with
str being the "friendly" and repr the "techy"
representations).

If there were any proposal for and / or to return
booleans, I'd scream bloody murder, but in my
own code, I don't forsee much breakage otherwise.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/