[Python-Dev] Please review PEP 278 - Universal newline support

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:39:57 -0500

[Greg Ward]
> -1 on using a file mode character that conflicts with existing
> conventions (eg. if "t" really is already used on Windows, find
> something else).

"t" is used on Windows, but not normally.  Whether MS stdio *defaults* to
text mode (as the C std requires) or binary mode can be overridden at link
time (linking in binmode.obj changes it) or run time (via assigning to the
system extern _fmode), and if you do that then you can't get text mode at
all without an explicit "t".  So that's why it's there.  It's not an issue
for Python the way we build and use it, but could be an issue for a Windows
app embedding Python.  Don't look at me <wink>.