[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 13:22:10 +0100

> > Tim, should we start to be worried about the problems you have to get
> > those things right or are you just in very-low-concetration mode?
>
> I'm in no-concentration mode, and, yes, you should pray for me before going
> to sleep, upon waking, before meals, and once for each tooth that gets
> brushed.  I'll let you know whether it helps!  Thanks in advance.

You're welcome. I'll do each time I pray for me (seems a more reasonable
approach <wink>). I know you can care for yourself.
 Anyway it was not meant in such a personal sense,
it was more about how much bot-friendly (and user-friendly in general)
reasoning on the consequences of the change is <wink>.

>[Tim]
>> I don't see anything about changing operator.truth() in Guido's PEP, and
>> would be surprised if I did:  it's been the documented purpose of that
>> function to return 0 or 1 since 1996, and there's no apparent reason to
>> change it.  If you want a similar function to return True or False
>> instead, well, that's what the new bool() would do, and TOOWTDI.
>
>Although I see Guido's patch *does* change operator.truth in this way.  I
>don't think it should.

Two people, different expectations.  Probably Guido should reason
explicitly about this and document the outcome in the PEP.

regards.