[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:01:29 -0500

> I don't see anything about changing operator.truth() in Guido's PEP,
> and would be surprised if I did: it's been the documented purpose of
> that function to return 0 or 1 since 1996, and there's no apparent
> reason to change it.  If you want a similar function to return True
> or False instead, well, that's what the new bool() would do, and
> TOOWTDI.

The patch I just submitted change the operator module so that all
"predicates" are changed from returning 0 or 1 to returning False or
True.  This includes operator.truth().

IMO, truth() was intended to "normalize" a Boolean result into two
values that clearly stand for truth and falsehood; I don't see a
problem with the change.