[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:46:11 -0800

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Will people waste time on silly arguments about "thou shalt change
> thy code to the One True/False Style, because it is the Proper Way"
> vs. "but 0/1 works and it's less typing and i don't want to bother"?
> Will programmers expend a bunch of effort editing their code to
> work the new way -- effort that could have been better spent fixing
> and improving their programs?

Good point.  This reminds me of the unofficial deprecation of string
exceptions.  I still find using string exceptions is darn convenient.
Just adding 'import exceptions'	is enough of a step to stop me from
doing it 'right' until the program has scaled up enough (usually the
same point where top-level functions become methods on a new class =).

--david